Spotlight is constantly growing and changing. Throughout the years, we helped hundreds of companies with their advertising needs. That’s when we learned that they needed even more help with their marketing needs. Now, after nine years of producing award winning and engaging content and websites, we are so excited to be able to help businesses with all of their marketing needs and launched a full-service Marketing Agency.
Spotlight is looking for an experienced Editor. We’re looking for a leader who is connected and will be involved in the fabric of the Agriculture community. An editor that can help elevate Spotlight's visibility, awareness and journalistic quality. An editor that can lead with a digital news approach and deliver our monthly print product. An editor that can work through copious amounts of copy and serve as a mentor to develop up-and-coming journalistic talent. The ability to juggle multiple projects, and the willingness to help shape multiple publications and their online experience is a must. Occasional travel will be expected. Familiarity with the Agriculture community is a plus.
This is a high-energy position and comes with the opportunity to shape how tens of thousands of readers across Fargo/Moorhead areas and beyond.
Responsibilities and Duties
- First and foremost, you must have a true love of the Fargo-Moorhead area and a desire to tell its story.
- Manage the overall process of creating magazine content.
- Coordinate online or print publishing cycle and manage content areas.
- Set publication standards and maintain goals and expectations.
- Develop stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences.
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors.
- Write upward of 10 articles a month.
- Proofread, edit and improve stories or pieces.
- Recruit and manage contributors.
- Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers, advertising reps, writers, artists, etc.
- Comply with media law and ethical guidelines.
- Meet deadlines and budget requirements.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have strong familiarity of the Agriculture community or a willingness to learn
- Minimum 1 year of editorial experience
- An ability to edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent portfolio
- Hands on experience with InDesign, Photoshop or other publishing tools is preferred
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Degree in Journalism or related field
- Live in the Fargo-Moorhead area
- Have their own vehicle
Benefits and Perks
- Medical Insurance (50% employer paid for employee)
- Dental and Vision Insurance (50% employer paid for employee)
- Vision Savings Pass (discount program)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% employer paid for employee)
- Paid Time Off (6 hours per pay period; 18 days per year)
- Volunteer Time Off (8 hours per year)
- 6 Paid Holidays
- Matching Charitable Donations (up to $50 per year)
- Individual Retirement Account
- Summer hours (office closes at noon on Fridays June-August)