Account Executive/Site Coordinator
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
As Account Executive, you'll be responsible for securing funders for Minnesota Public Radio's programming services (MPR News, Classical MPR, The Current, Digital and Live Events) to meet revenue goals. In this role, you will service, renew and increase funding from new and existing clients to meet new business and renewal targets, as applicable. You will also assist with other development and marketing activities as assigned. In this position, you'll cover an assigned geographic region and will be based in a network station.
This is an outside sales position which requires approximately 75% of time to be spent engaged in sales and prospecting activity during the day (in the office, out of the office and with occasional overnight travel). The account executive is expected to maintain a workflow of 10-12 out-of-office appointments or meaningful electronic sales communications per week.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Identify new underwriting prospects for on-air and digital support using multiple resources, including business contacts; broadcast, print, digital media; trade publications (marketing, advertising, industry specific); and networking.
- Identify, establish, cultivate and manage strong ongoing client relationships. This includes developing rapport and directing client discussions toward understanding how MPR can assist with clients' underwriting/advertising needs.
- Prepare written and in-person presentations designed to meet new prospects' needs and resources, and to encourage renewed and increased funding commitments from existing clients.
- Execute the sales cycle to result in sales closure.
- Work with prospects/clients to prepare effective and FCC-approved underwriting messages.
- Establish and maintain accurate and current records in Salesforce, including account and client contact information, activities and opportunities.
- Generate weekly reports showing pending prospect/client meetings, anticipated revenue and new business.
- Accurately enter orders and scripts into MPR's traffic system.
- Monitor aging accounts and arrange for collections.
- Participate in network sales team conference calls and St. Paul sales meetings via conference calls, and attend sales seminars and training, as scheduled.
- Secure partnerships with appropriate organizations and businesses at the request of marketing and other departments.
- Assist and participate in development, marketing and station-related activities, such as open houses, Regional Development Advisory Council meetings, MPR-sponsored events and other events, upon request.
- Continuously look for ways to refine and enhance support systems such as marketing materials, traffic, billing, Salesforce, Nielsen, Tapscan, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Site Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Day to day management of local office site facilities. Provide healthy, safe and creative working environment for local staff.
- Educational sponsor basic support activities, as directed.
- Regional Development Advisory Council basic activities, as directed.
- Monitor local stations for quality control of sound. Provide feedback on program flow, local breaks, levels and traffic. Outside of office hours, contact ICC with signal problems
- Represent MPR at MPR events and trade/partnership activities.
- Provide support for live broadcasts and local recordings in district.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two years of sales experience in broadcasting, other media or equivalent experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven track record of successfully meeting revenue targets through prospecting and client upgrades.
- Persuasive communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A curious mind, team player, self-motivated, results-oriented, with an energetic and strong presence.
- Demonstrated time management skills. Ability to work effectively with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Strong computer skills in standard Office suite.
- Ability and eagerness to sell in a challenging environment to help build a significant public media company.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of MPR products.
- Knowledge of Salesforce.
Reporting to this Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to travel during the day, with occasional overnight travel.
- Must have a valid, current driver's license and a personal vehicle available for use to call on clients. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
- Must have a clean driving record with no DWIs or excessive amount of traffic violations or accidents.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.
Are you a member?
If you work for a business that has invested in a Chamber membership, YOU are also a member and can register with special pricing for Chamber events! Not sure if your employer is a member? Search your company name in our Business Directory to find out! Here are your member login instructions.