Corporate Counsel - Contracts
The Corporate Counsel – Contracts role will have primary responsibility for managing all aspects of Ulteig’s contracts and contract governance, including creating processes; drafting, negotiating, and developing forms, templates, and playbooks; and ensuring consistent management of all proposals and agreements. This role will provide legal guidance and expertise on specific contracts, balancing the protection of Ulteig assets, minimizing legal risk, and meeting client/business line needs. The Corporate Counsel – Contracts directly manages the Contracts Coordinator and is part of Ulteig’s Legal and Compliance Departments, reporting to the Associate General Counsel.
What You'll Do
The Corporate Counsel – Contracts will be responsible for all Ulteig contracts and ensure that Ulteig has appropriate systems and processes in place to streamline contract lifecycles and decision-making while supporting the contract needs of the business lines. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reviewing, revising, drafting, negotiating, and closing commercial contracts, including, but not limited to, master services agreements, professional services agreements, statements of work, licenses, RFP responses, NDAs, technology service agreements, and supporting documents across various business units.
- Developing standard contract templates, forms, playbooks, and best practices that are aligned with Ulteig’s risk portfolio and uphold organizational principals of integrity and compliance.
- Creating, expanding, and implementing commercial contract management processes and strategies.
- Monitoring contract status and compliance and identifying conflicts and/or changes requiring attention.
- Developing and implementing metrics and reports to demonstrate effectiveness of contract function.
- Supporting internal business clients in negotiating price, deliverables, services scope, warranty, and other commercial contract terms.
- Partnering with business clients to communicate and manage workflow of all contract phases and stages.
- Providing rapid, practical, business-oriented legal and commercial contract advice directly to business clients.
- Serving as primary organizational contact during contract negotiations.
- Interfacing with insurance companies regarding adequacy of coverage.
- Appling innovative problem-solving skills and practical business judgment to maximize revenues, minimize risk, and foster long-term client relationships.
- Collaborating with and facilitating cross-team decision-making among the Legal team, Finance & Accounting team, business teams, and other internal teams.
- Performing relevant legal and operational research, as necessary.
- Partnering with outside counsel, as necessary, to resolve contract disputes and litigation.
- Creating communications and trainings for Ulteig leaders and staff on appropriate contracting procedures.
- Managing Contracts Coordinator to ensure streamlined and efficient contracting processes, timely responses, and accurate record-keeping.
- Creating and maintaining positive working relationships with clients and vendors.
- Performing other duties to ensure that Ulteig business partners receive the most effective legal guidance.
What We Expect from You
- + years of experience of negotiating and drafting commercial contracts, with a thorough understanding of commercial contract law (including UCC), contract management/governance, contractual language, and contract lifecycles.
- D. degree from an accredited law school required
- Licensed to practice law in a U.S. state or the District of Columbia.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to research and understand legal and financial implications
- Superior negotiation techniques and drafting skills.
- Detail-oriented, organized, analytical, quick learner.
- Effective communication and strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced environment.
- Diligent and proactive with sound business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Ability to manage a significant volume of agreements in a timely manner.
- Must be authorized to work permanently in the U.S.
- Minimum of [three] years’ experience representing corporate clients as in-house counsel or extensive outside counsel partnership.
- Up-to-date understanding of legal issues affecting engineers and engineering companies.
- Significant experience drafting, analyzing, and negotiating complex commercial documents.
- Knowledge of commercial contract issues
- Must have authorization to work permanently in the US
What You Can Expect from Ulteig
For 75 years, we’ve built a culture focused on people – both our clients and our employees. We realize that a huge part of our success has relied heavily on the dedication and focus of our workforce; this is why we make investing in our employees a top priority. Being 100% employee-owned means, we take our own success and the success of our clients personally.
We offer our team members:
- Flexible Workplace
- Employee Ownership
- Competitive Pay
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Collaborative Environment
- Innovative Culture
Working at Ulteig is more than a job, it means you will be making a difference. Our vision is to be among the most highly regarded engineering and technical services firms in North America. Ulteig connects people and resources to develop compelling, integrated solutions across multiple Lifeline Sectors®, including power, renewables, transportation and water. Ulteig's footprint spans the country and leverages its expertise with a wide range of public and private clients.
If you would like to be a part of a company that empowers their employees, apply today!
Ulteig is a Drug Free Workplace
ACHIEVE | GROW | COLLABORATE
Notice to Recruiters and Staffing Agencies: to protect the interests of all parties, Ulteig Engineers, Inc., will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate or an approved vendor that has a written and signed agreement in place with Ulteig. Please do not contact or forward resumes to our company employees or locations. Any unsolicited resumes will be considered Ulteig property. Ulteig is not responsible for any charges or fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Are you a member?
If you work for a business that has invested in a Chamber membership, YOU are also a member and can register with special pricing for Chamber events! Not sure if your employer is a member? Search your company name in our Business Directory to find out! Here are your member login instructions.