Cultivating Inclusion in the Workplace
NDSU contributes significantly to the pipeline of talent for the region’s workforce, supplying a steady flow of qualified and trained interns and graduates. We believe in making connections, encouraging collaborations, and creating new opportunities for students, faculty, and employers. More often than not, diversity and inclusion are employed interchangeably, and while these concepts are related, without authentic and internal inclusion, diversity is a mere statistic. Many employers and recruiters strive to diversify their workforce either by choice or mandate, but often lack the essential organizational groundwork needed to foster an inclusive environment, so all hires can thrive and successfully contribute to the organization. This panel of experts will provide insights, considerations, and strategies employers and recruiters can adopt to implement diversity hiring strategies and create more inclusive work environments and cultures supporting retention efforts.
Moderator: Dr. Taj Smith Director of Diversity Education, Rochester Institute of Technology
• Sandi Piatz Site Leader and Senior Director, Microsoft
• James Whirlwind Soldier Employee Relations & Community Outreach, Goldmark Property Management
• Mark Coppin Director, NDSU Disability Services
• Tabitha Thomas International Faculty & Scholar Advisor, NDSU Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Equity
• Creighton Brown Inclusive Excellence Initiatives Coordinator, NDSU Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Equity