Our community needs your help! As yet another spring flood bears down on our region, the sound has been called for volunteer efforts on behalf of our cities to be proactive in this year’s flood fight. The Chamber is working with the cities of both Fargo and Moorhead, and Cass County, to recruit volunteers to donate their time to help fill sandbags. The assistance of our community members is imperative so that we can avoid mandatory shut downs of businesses and mandatory evacuations.
The Chamber is urging its members and their employees to join forces and get involved. We also ask that employers allow their employees time to volunteer to these efforts. Please consider gathering a group from your office, or family and friends, to sign up for a shift.
Fargo volunteer information
A Fargo flood volunteer website allows the public to see where assistance is needed and can be used both by individuals and groups in deciding when to volunteer. During operating hours, 200 volunteers are needed at all times. Students are assisting in the mornings, and help from the business community is requested in the afternoons.
VIEW WEBSITE AND AVAILABILITY
- Goal: 1 million sandbags
- Sandbag central address: 2301 8th Avenue North, Fargo
- Time slots: 2 to 4:30 p.m. and 4:30 to 7 p.m. on March 26-29 and April 1-6
- To sign up: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the sandbag volunteer hotline at 701.476.4000.
Moorhead volunteer information
Full details for the city of Moorhead's sandbagging operation are available at www.cityofmoorhead.com/flood on the “Get Involved” page. The volunteer section is at cityofmoorhead.com/residents/flood-response/get-involved
VIEW MOORHEAD WEBSITE
Cass County volunteer information
- Goal: 150,000 sandbags
- Sandbag Center address: 1313 30 Avenue South, Moorhead Schools Operations Center west lot
- Hours of operation: 9 am to 9 pm, Wednesday to Saturday; Sunday noon to 9 pm
- Parking: Available on site.
The only sandbag operation supporting rural Cass County. Cass County cannot provide maximum flood protection to rural residents without citizen involvement. We encourage businesses, civic organizations, rural subdivisions and other groups to support this operation. Volunteers are needed both weekdays and weekends.
- Goal: 300,000 sandbags
- When: Between Wednesday, March 27 and Friday, April 5. Weekday shifts run from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. On Saturday, March 30, volunteers are needed from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., and on Sunday, March 31 from noon to 7 p.m.
- Location: Cass County Highway Shop, 1201 Main Avenue West, West Fargo
- Volunteers needed: 55-60 people per shift to maximize productivity
- To sign up: Contact Chip Ammerman at (701) 239-6700. For general Cass County flood-related information, contact Robert Wilson at (701) 241-5770.